From the most basic to the most luxurious, centerpieces dress the corners of our home, filling them with color, elegance, and personality. Floral design is based on a series of principles to create arrangements full of harmony to express a feeling, an idea, or an emotion. It doesn’t sound easy. However, you don’t need to be exceptionally skilled to appreciate nature’s flowers and design your own original and unique centerpiece.
For the DIY centerpieces that we bring you today, we will focus on some simple and valuable tips that will help you let your imagination run wild. You set the rules! So, suppose you are looking for a creative and even therapeutic activity to brighten your day or that of your loved ones here at Interflora. In that case, we encourage you to make a DIY centerpiece with your favorite natural flowers. Read on to discover the style ideas we suggest as a starting point.
DIY centerpieces: materials and advice
You only need to prepare five materials to get to work:
- Scissors to cut flowers
- A jar or base of your choice
- foliage and branches
- Foam for floral arrangements (optional)
Simple, isn’t it? But before you start, keep in mind the following tips for your DIY centerpiece:
- The shape of the vase you choose will determine the appearance of the floral composition of your centerpiece: tall or short, narrow or wide, round or square, etc.
- If you want an eco-friendly centerpiece, you can use twigs and leaves to establish the base structure on which the rest of the flowers will rest, instead of using special foam for floral arrangements.
- Play and experiment with the flower stem length to achieve different silhouettes and color combinations.
- Make small arrangements with the scissors to give harmony and balance at the end of the whole process.
Wood, baskets, rope, and jute fabrics will suffice to create a country-style centerpiece. Choose a wicker basket or a flower vase wrapped in jute fabric with a cord in the same shade of white for a light touch. Choose flowers of different shades to create a harmonious color contrast with the neutral and white tones of the base.
It is said that less is more, and on many occasions, simplicity is the best way to change the atmosphere of a room. A centerpiece with a monochromatic floral arrangement will be able to capture the same attention as a lush one. For your minimalist centerpiece, choose a single type of flower and play with the textures of the green foliage. You can even opt for tree branches, such as cherry blossoms. Plain-colored glass vases or vases will go perfectly with the flowers of your choice.
One of the most popular styles that never go out of style is straightforward to achieve, and the most important thing is the choice of base: pewter vases, engraved glass, or antique containers. Wildflowers will be an excellent choice for your DIY vintage centerpiece.
Those who follow the 3 R’s of recycling: reduce, recycle and reuse; will love these proposals. Glass jars, cans, or even utensils at home, such as watering cans or cups, can serve as a base. You can decorate the glass jars with bows or paint the cans to personalize your centerpiece as much as possible.
Centerpieces full of harmony at Interflora
Our centerpieces made by professional florists stand out for their floral compositions with a perfect balance of colors, shapes, and textures. We have every style imaginable to add the finishing touch to your home decor, whether indoors or outdoors.
- Wood: a centerpiece under a basket and with flowers in orange tones, ideal for creating cozy environments.
- Sicilia: table centerpiece with roses and gerberas to give more volume and finishing details with all the delicacy and harmony of the composition.
- Everest: spectacular vertical centerpiece with flowers in white, orange, and purple tones, perfect for special events and occasions.